Longer Timer for Non-Turn Player in Ranked

The current timer for the non-turn player in Ranked Games is too short. My reasoning for this is that even if you are not the turn player, you still need to think about your responses and next move(s), and the current timer is just too short for that. Reading your opponent’s cards alone already takes around 30 secs or even more, let alone checking your and your opponent’s zones. I think adding an additional minute or two is enough.

I would like to second this. it is really difficult to enjoy the game when you have to play blind in your opponent´s turn because you get no chance at all to properly read those 20+ new cards that people tend to summon when they playing something new. imo the best way to fix this would be to increase the timer adding for actions taken from 2 seconds to like 5-10 seconds. That way the timer can stay low and prevent stalling but you also get a chance to play properly.

I’m not sure when this was posted but there has been a ton of changes since Feb. The turn player and non-turn player have equal time. This is the way it has been in ygopro for last 9 years. I was the one who designed the system for ygopro which is 180+3. You get 3 secs per move and that includes for non-turn player when they have response.

I haven’t played the game for 4 years and just started in January 2021. Every duel, i’m reading new cards I’ve never seen before. Yet, I’m doing just fine. I have plenty of time to read.

There is no perfect timer system and later I will make a video explaining all the different timer systems for a 2-player turn based strategy game. Timers can be abused when given too much time or people timeout for not being able to do their combos for too little time.

Ranked is about knowing what you’re doing and knowing most of the cards in the game or having the ability to read quickly to discern the game state. You have multiple ways to read cards, the log, the zoom card view, the card text box. You can use Q and W to toggle quickly and read. If you need more time, then play casual (non-ranked) where you can adjust the timer.