[WC3] Whimsical's Custom Card Creator

[Updated: 16/08/2020]

This is my personal custom card creation tool that I’ve finally decided is decent enough to release (Fun Fact: This is also the 2nd time I rewrote the program from scratch since the first version in 2011).

The first thing to note is that this program is made for designing cards in the sense of the card’s stats and effects, it’s not used to create actual images. The intent is that you design the card here, then copy the text over to your card image creator of choice.

What WC3 does well is managing the card data, and text templating. With WC3 you can reuse card text that is shared by multiple cards (such as the text for piercing battle damage), and with a built in scripting language, you can even include variation in the reused text.

WC3’s scripting language is also used to write “Export Templates” which allows you output your card data as any text or SQLite based format. WC3 comes packaged with Export Templates for a simple text template, and a ygopro sqlite template.

WC3 also allows you to save your cards, templates, and text snippits in a JSON file that can the be shared and imported into WC3 by simply dragging and droping the .json file into the main editor.

Below is the download link for WC3. It includes the main program itself (wc3.jar), a user manual which details all the features of the program and includes a reference for the scripting language, along with 2 .json files. starter.json includes some text snippits that I commonly use, along with the example Export Templates, and I highly recommend using it. scarlet.json includes an example archetype built with WC3, providing examples of how the program is used in practice.

Note that since this program is built with Java, you will also need the Java 8 JRE to run the included jar file. I have included a link to the download page for the JRE, though note you will need to create an account on the website to download it.

Java 8 JRE: https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase-jre8-downloads.html

Please feel free to leave any feedback, along with suggestions you might have or bugs you might will find. This program is effectively still a beta version since I can only test so much on my own. I will do my best to fix any problems found with it. I also intend to release the source code once I write comments for everything (a bad habit of mine).

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! I’ll move this to the “Scripting & Development” category and pin it. I assume this program is compatible with the standard YGOPro card database.

We are also currently working on making a new custom card maker like DataEditorX (DEX), but for the new game, YGO Omega.

Since your program is built in java, I wonder how hard it would be to also make it in javascript so that it can be used for web? There’s custom card creators on the web like these two:

https://yemachu.github.io/cardmaker/

There is no database editor yet on the web though which can allow a user to create a custom card and then export as cdb. The first github will import a cdb and output all the card images. Perhaps you can use these tools to your benefit.

Eventually, we will create a standalone database editor for YGO Omega and then transfer it to the web which will be put on this site.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! I’ll move this to the “Custom Cards” category and pin it. I assume this program is compatible with the standard YGOPro card database.

Thank you, wasn’t sure where to put it. Also, thank you for the pin.

Since your program is built in java, I wonder how hard it would be to also make it in javascript so that it can be used for web? There’s custom card creators on the web like these two:

I haven’t seen the others so I can’t say anything in regards to them. As to porting it to javascript, while I don’t have much experience with it, I can’t say that it would be easy. WC3 is written in Kotlin which is compatible with the JVM but is very different than Java script. The harder part is likely to be the fact that I make heavy use of external libraries to make writing the code easier, which might not have good javascript equivalents.

There is no database editor yet on the web though which can allow a user to create a custom card and then export as cdb. The first github will import a cdb and output all the card images. Perhaps you can use these tools to your benefit.

This can’t do sqlite import, but it can do the export just fine (WC3 basically supports any text or SQLite based format you can think of).

1 Like

I am getting this error, despite having Java 8 and JRE installed:

---------------------------
Java Virtual Machine Launcher
Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
OK   

I think the problem has been solved. I accidentally built the jar for the wrong version of Java (I didn’t catch this since I also have that version installed).

Fixed the download to now be the right version. If anyone can confirm that I works now, that would be appreciated.