The Seal of Orichalcos activation

1. Bug description
    The Seal of Orichalcos (TCG) cannot be activated unless you control a special-summoned monster.

2. Bug reproduction steps
    As long as I control no special summoned monsters, I can only set the card in the field spell zone. Once I get a special summoned monster it allows me to activate it.

3. Expected behavior
    As far as I know or can see on the card, it destroys all your special summoned monsters when it is activated but I can see no interpretation of it saying that I have to have one or that it has to destroy at least one to be activated. I also found no official ruling saying it has to have a card to destroy in order to activate it. Also, there is no field background for it after activation.
    “All monsters you control gain 500 ATK. Once per turn, this card cannot be destroyed by card effects. While you control 2 or more face-up attack position monsters, your opponent cannot target your monster(s) with the lowest ATK for an attack. When this card is activated: Destroy all Special Summoned monsters you control. You cannot Special Summon monsters from your Extra Deck. You can only activate “The Seal of Orichalcos” once per Duel.”

4. What OS are you using
    Win10

That’s not a bug, that’s just how TCG orichalcos works because of poor translating and PSCT semantics

Similar way to how you can’t activate gateway to chaos if you don’t have any BLS rituals or gaia monsters to add to hand

The field image not appearing is still a bug and the OCG Seal with the same text can be activated normally and has the field image.

And I really don’t get how " When this card is activated: Destroy all Special Summoned monsters you control." implies you need to have at least one to do so.

Also, from the old Legacy of the Duelist game, I don’t remember it working that way. I guess I’ll have to check.

Confirmed, just fired up Link Evolution and quickly made a test deck:

As you can see, I only control a tribute summoned monster, the seal allows me to activate it, after activation, my non-special summoned monster is not destroyed confirming I didn’t special summon it.

I can find no card errata or rulings made after this game came out to imply any changes to the seal’s functionality.

You do realise that Link evolution uses OCG rulings, therefore using the OCG text that says " If this card is activated: Destroy all Special Summoned monsters you control (if any) ." right?

It does not say (if any)

And if it is required to destroy at least one, shouldn’t the TCG version say
Destroy all special summoned monsters you control (min. 1)
or
You must control at least one special summoned monster in order to activate this card.

Also just checked, Master Duel also allows for its activation and the text doesn’t say (if any)

Thank you for making a bug report!

Master Duel, just like Legacy of the Duelist (Link Evolution included) also uses the OCG rulings for Seal of Orichalcos. Its an OCG centered game. As such it uses OCG rulings and OCG card text, even if it shows the TCG card text (its a translation thing).

Regardless, in the TCG, you must be able to perform a mandatory action in order to activate a spell card. You can refer to Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG Product Errors to see what the text would need to say in order for the card to function similar to how it does in the OCG. The card needs to state “if any” in order for it to be able to be activated without applying its effect to the field. As such, as it is written, you must destroy at least 1 card on the field that was special summoned in order to successfully activate The Seal of Orichalcos.

As described, this is functioning as intended.

Once again, thank you for making a bug report. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out on the Duelist Unite Discord Server in the #rulings channel.

Thank you for the response. I do understand but this just seems like a bad translation and not the intended change of effects.

The other part of the bug still stands, when it is activated, the field doesn’t display its artwork.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.