Clock Lizard Rulings Explained

Q: While the effect of Rivalry of Warlords is applying, can the effect of Construction Train Signal Red be activated? Also, if the effect of Construction Train Signal Red is activated, but Rivalry of Warlords is chained to it, how does the effect resolve?

A: While the effect of Rivalry of Warlords is already applying, and you have face-up monsters on your side of the field that are not Machine-Type, you cannot activate the effect of Construction Train Signal Red. In addition, if the effect of Construction Train Signal Red is activated, but Rivalry of Warlords is chained and you have face-up monsters on your side of the field that are not Machine-Type, Construction Train Signal Red will remain in your hand without being Special Summoned. As a result, its effects will not apply. (Note that if you do have Machine-Type monsters on your side of the field, the effect of Construction Train Signal Red is applied normally.)

Source: Q&A詳細 | 遊戯王 オフィシャルカードゲーム デュエルモンスターズ - カードデータベース

The same rule applies to the “Gladiator Beast” monsters. You can return a Gladiator Beast to your Deck and activate its effect as long as there is another Gladiator Beast in your Deck that you COULD Summon that is the same Type/Attribute as the one you returned. However, if you have no face-up monsters when the effect resolves, you can Summon any Type/Attribute of monster.

Source: https://img.yugioh-card.com/ygo_cms/ygo/all/uploads/CardFAQ_Rivalry-of-Warlords_Gozen-Match-1.pdf

Case 1:

Q: I have “Clock Lizard”, “Zombie World”, and “Rivalry of Warlords” face-up on the field. “Cyberse Clock Dragon”, “Clock Wyvern”, and “Linkuriboh” are in my Graveyard. Can I activate the effect of “Clock Lizard”?

In this case, “Rivalry of Warlords” only allows me to special summon Zombie-type monsters and “Cyberse Clock Dragon” is treated as a Zombie-type monster in my graveyard. I should be able to activate “Clock Lizard”. When “Clock Lizard” tributes itself, I no longer have any monsters on my side of the field, so Rivalry is no longer restricting my Type. Hence, even though the Type of “Cyberse Clock Dragon” changes when returned to Extra Deck, it does not matter. I should be able to summon “Cyberse Clock Dragon” to the field successfully.

Another way to look at this is to ask can I activate a “Polymerization” from my hand to fusion summon a non-Zombie Type monster when I have no monsters on my side of the field but I have “Zombie World” and “Rivalry of Warlords” face-up? The answer is yes.

Email OCG Ruling Source:

Q.
自分フィールドに「アンデットワールド」「群雄割拠」「クロック・リザード」が表側表示で存在し、自分の墓地に「サイバース・クロック・ドラゴン」「クロック・ワイバーン」「リンクリボー」が存在しています。

この状況で、「クロック・リザード」をリリースして自身の①効果を発動ことはできますか?効果処理はどうなりますか?
A.
ご質問の場合、「クロック・リザード」の『①』の効果を発動することができます。

したがって、墓地に存在する「サイバース・クロック・ドラゴン」をエクストラデッキに戻し、「リンクリボー」と「クロック・ワイバーン」を除外し、「サイバース・クロック・ドラゴン」を融合召喚することになります。

Case 2:

Q: The same as Case 1 but in addition to “Clock Lizard”, I have a face-up “Glow-Up Bloom” on the field. Hence, I have 2 monsters that are treated as Zombie-Type. Can I activate the effect of Clock Lizard? If I can, will “Cyberse Clock Dragon” be summoned to my field?

A: Clock Lizard cannot activate even though “Cyberse Clock Dragon” is a Zombie while in the Graveyard. Here, the original Type is used and hence, “Cyberse”. This the ruling we obtained from Konami.

Email OCG Ruling Source:

Q.
自分フィールドに「アンデットワールド」「群雄割拠」「クロック・リザード」「グローアップ・ブルーム」が表側表示で存在し、自分の墓地に「サイバース・クロック・ドラゴン」「クロック・ワイバーン」「リンクリボー」が存在しています。

この状況で、「クロック・リザード」をリリースして自身の①効果を発動ことはできますか?効果処理はどうなりますか?
A.
ご質問の場合、「クロック・リザード」の『①』の効果を発動することはできません。

Case 3:

Q: The same as Case 1 but I have also activated the effect of “Transcode Talker” during this turn which allows me to only special summon Cyberse-Type monsters. Can I activate the effect of “Clock Lizard”?

As discussed in Case 2, the original Type of “Cyberse Clock Dragon” is considered. Hence, Clock Lizard can be activated since Transcode Talker only restricts Cyberse type.

Case 4:

Q: I have “Clock Lizard” and “Yang Zing Creation” face-up on the field. Can I activate the effect of “Clock Lizard?

A: The effect of “Yang Zing Creation” means I can only Special Summon Synchro monsters. So I should not be able to activate “Clock Lizard” to special summon a Fusion monster. Similarly, if “Yang Zing Creation” were chained to the activation of “Clock Lizard”, then “Clock Lizard”’s effect would not resolve. The fusion monster and its materials would remain in the graveyard.

Case 5:

Q: Cyberse Clock Dragon is in my Graveyard, and there are no cards in my Extra Deck. In this situation, can I activate the effect of Clock Lizard?

A: The effect of Clock Lizard returns the Fusion Monster to your Extra Deck before Fusion Summoning it by banishing its listed materials from the Graveyard. Even if you have no cards in your Extra Deck, you can activate the effect of Clock Lizard as long as there is a Fusion Monster and its listed materials in your Graveyard.

Case 6:

Q: Starving Venom Fusion Dragon and 2 DARK monsters are in my Graveyard. In this situation, if I activate the effect of Clock Lizard, can I choose that Starving Venom Fusion Dragon?

A: The Fusion Monster you choose in your Graveyard when resolving the effect of Clock Lizard must be one whose listed materials are also present in your Graveyard. Since Starving Venom Fusion Dragon’s listed materials are 2 DARK monsters on the field other than Tokens, its materials cannot be in the Graveyard, so you cannot choose it when resolving the effect of Clock Lizard. (If Starving Venom Fusion Dragon is the only Fusion Monster in your Graveyard, you cannot activate the effect of Clock Lizard.)

Case 7:

Q: Cyberse Clock Dragon, Clock Wyvern, and Linkuriboh are in my Graveyard. In this situation, if I activate the effect of Clock Lizard, can I use Clock Lizard as a material?

A: In this scenario, when Fusion Summoning the returned Cyberse Clock Dragon, you must banish 1 Clock Lizard and 1 or more Link Monsters from your Graveyard. In this case, you have the Link Monsters Linkuriboh and Clock Lizard in your Graveyard when the effect resolves. You can perform the Fusion Summon by banishing Clock Wyvern and Clock Lizard, Clock Wyvern and Linkuriboh, or all 3 monsters.

Case 8:

Q: Cyberse Clock Dragon, Clock Wyvern, and Linkuriboh are in my Graveyard. In this situation, if I activate the effect of Clock Lizard, but my opponent chains the effect of D.D. Crow and banishes Clock Wyvern from the Graveyard, how does the effect of Clock Lizard resolve?

A: The Fusion Monster you choose in your Graveyard when resolving the effect of Clock Lizard must be one whose listed materials are also present in your Graveyard. In this scenario, since Cyberse Clock Dragon’s listed materials are not all present in your Graveyard, the effect of Clock Lizard cannot be applied. (No part of the effect is applied, including returning a Fusion Monster from your Graveyard to the Extra Deck.)

Case 9:

Q: When I activate the effect of Clock Lizard, my opponent chains Imperial Iron Wall. In this case, how does the effect resolve?

A: The effect of Clock Lizard returns a Fusion Monster from your Graveyard to your Extra Deck before Fusion Summoning it by banishing its listed materials from the Graveyard. In this scenario, since the effect of Imperial Iron Wall is applying, you cannot banish materials from your Graveyard, and the effect of Clock Lizard cannot be applied. (No part of the effect is applied, including returning a Fusion Monster from your Graveyard to the Extra Deck.) Note that if the effect of Imperial Iron Wall is already applying, you cannot activate the effect of Clock Lizard.

1 Like