Clients running on a VM will crash on battle events

1. Bug description
    Attempting to attack any target will cause the opponent’s client to crash.

2. Bug reproduction steps

Setup:

Player A

• Windows 10 local machine
  • Launch Omega, go online, and host a casual game with TCG rules and any legal deck. I had deck checking turned off.

Player B

• Windows 10 VM running on the same machine as Player A
  • Launch Omega, go online with a different account from Player A, and join Player A’s game using a game code generated by Player A.

Steps:

Reproducibility 5/5

• Player A and Player B start the duel and play as normal
  • Player A enters battle phase and attacks any valid target owned by Player B (monsters or direct attack)
  • Player B’s client immediately crashes with no error code displayed to the user.
  1. Screenshot OR error code
    Player.log wasn’t super helpful, just shows the errors below:
  ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FFFB5FAB6BB)
0x00007FFFB5FAB6BB (UnityPlayer) (function-name not available)
  ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FFFB5FACCB1)
0x00007FFFB5FACCB1 (UnityPlayer) (function-name not available)
  ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FFFB5FAB8CC)
0x00007FFFB5FAB8CC (UnityPlayer) (function-name not available)
  ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FFFB5FABB93)
0x00007FFFB5FABB93 (UnityPlayer) (function-name not available)
  ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FFFB5FAD1D0)
0x00007FFFB5FAD1D0 (UnityPlayer) (function-name not available)
  ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FFFB60AEE61)
0x00007FFFB60AEE61 (UnityPlayer) (function-name not available)
0x00007FFFE7DB81F4 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
0x00007FFFE884A251 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart

Which I’m pretty sure means Unity doesn’t know what crashed, at least there. I do have a crash dump though so DM me if you want that, I’d be happy to send that along with the player logs. The stack trace has no symbols so I can’t provide any insight on my own of course.

1. Expected behavior
    The VM client should not crash as a result of battle events.

2. What OS are you using
    Player A: Windows 10
    Player B: Windows 10 VM, specifically, MSEdge on Win10 (x64) Stable 1809 running with VMware

3. Notes

• I only tested this by having the VM (that runs Client B) run on the same machine that runs Client A locally. I’m not sure if that matters, but seems like it might so I thought I’d bring it up.
  1. My personal use case for this behavior
    I have no friends so to verify rulings and test certain ideas with specific card interactions and decks, I like to play myself. So I have 2 accounts, one that I only use as a test account to duel my main account, and my main account. I never attempt to play competitive with the two.

Hello,

Thank you for making a bug report. I have seen something similar to this in the past in the case of the usage of integrated graphics being utilized. Being that it is a VM I’m sure that this is a similar case.

The solution to this is to go into the settings, then graphics settings and disable GFX. Make sure it is unchecked and then apply the changes. This should remedy the crashing of Omega on the case of Battling monsters.

For quick testing, You should be able to play and test things with the bot by hosting your own private match and inviting the bot to the room.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out here or in the Duelist Unite Discord server where we have the #omega_support channel.

Awesome! I will try this out and let you know if this was the case :slight_smile:

Good news! That seems to have been the culprit, turning off GFX stopped the crash :slight_smile:

Thanks!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.